Whether you’re digging out an old pair, ready for a new season, or just checking the pockets ready for the wash, finding money in the pockets of old jeans can be considered as a major mood-booster. Sometimes, it’s a few coins. Nothing major, but hey. I might buy a lottery ticket with this spare pound coin I never knew I had. I might even win. I might not, but this few moments of fantasy cannot fail to bring a smile to our faces.
Sometimes, we find foreign money. OK, they don’t accept Francs or Deutsche Marks anymore, and the chances of them ever being worth anything are very slim, but they awaken memories of great times we’ve all had on those holidays long since past. Taking a moment to relive those memories is a moment of happiness in itself.
Sometimes, we come across The Holy Grail in forgotten money. The £20 note. There she is, Our Beloved Monarch, looking fine and resplendent on the front of our forgotten funds. And there he is, Sir Edward Elgar, looking just as splendid with his honed moustache on the back. Today is a good day.
Hang on, haven’t the £20 notes showing Sir Eddie been replaced with those with Adam Smith on them instead? In fact, I’m pretty sure that this particular note is out of circulation now, therefore making it as worthless as those Deutsche Marks. Damn. But for a moment there, we all experience a little moment of win.

No comments:
Post a Comment